Tourism in India is economically important and is growing rapidly. The Ministry of Tourism is running a scheme under which National Tourism Awards are given to Travel Agents and Tour Operators including best Adventure Tour Operator, best Domestic Tour Operator, most Innovative Tour Operator ,Best Mice Operator, Tourist Transport Operator, best Hotels in the different categories, Outstanding performers in Publishing, etc. Awards are also given to the meritorious students of the institutes of Hotel Management and Indian Institute of Tourism & Travel Management.
Winner’s list of National Tourism Awards 2014-15:
The below are the states & cities was declared best tourism places in various category. The National Tourism Awards for the year 2014-15, organised by the Ministry of Tourism, were presented by Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan. “In our childhood, we had read about Gulliver Travels and Vasco De Gama to know about new places of tourism. But now through the spread of tourism industry, it has become very easy,” she said in her address. Mahajan also expressed her happiness that rural tourism has also been accorded due importance cited the example of Konkan region.
“The continuous strive for service excellence is all the more important as India’s tourism sector is on an upward growth track,” she said. Tourism Minister Mahesh Sharma announced that his ministry is in consultation with Ministry of Railways for exclusive tourist coaches on trains.
“We are in consultation with the Ministry of Railways for tourist coaches on select routes as well as for the development of 50 railway stations as ‘Adarsh Railway Stations’. “Simultaneously, talks are going on with Ministry of Civil Aviation to develop 65 airports as “Adarsh Airports” and a low airfare scheme of Rs 2,500 for passengers will boost the tourism industry,” he said.
- Madhya Pradesh Tourism: The “heart of incredible India”, Madhya Pradesh was declared the Best State/Union Territory for Comprehensive Development of Tourism at the National Tourism Awards.
- Gujarat Tourism: Amarkantak was declared the Best Maintained and Disabled Friendly Monument in the country, while The Best Film Promotion Friendly State award went to Gujarat.
- Tourism of Delhi failed to win any awards.
- Telangana Tourism: 3 National tourism award for TSTDC: The Best Tourism Promotion Publicity Material award was achieved by Telangana’s Department of Tourism for their coffee table Book “Ancient Temples of Telangana” while the state’s Warangal city won the award for the Best Heritage City in the country for 2014-15.
- Kerala Tourism: one for its Responsible Tourism (RT) initiative in Wayanad. one for ‘Most Innovative use of Information Technology’ – social media/mobile app. Sargaalaya Arts and Crafts Village at Iringal, a small but thriving village in Kozhikode, fetched the award for Kerala Tourism in the Rural Tourism project category. Kerala and the Spice Routes, a coffee-table book designed by Stark, won the award in the category of Excellence in Publishing in English language. The third award for Kerala Tourism in ‘Tourism Promotion and Publishing’ category came for its most innovative use of information technology for the website designed by Invis Multimedia and social media managed by Stark Communications.